Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Week 13, April 1st, 2008- Pneumonia, work and other things.

Happy April Fool's Day!!

SO, its 2 days into week 13, and I have been diagnosed with Pneumonia. Lucky-Ducky me. Something started brewing on Friday- I figured it was the flu. By evening, it hit me like a freight train. I had a fever and just felt like crap. It was more of the same on Saturday and Sunday, though I was able to function through the day. It never got really bad, nor did fevers start until after 5pm. Wierd, huh?. Monday, I tried getting in with my doctor, but apparently everyone in the world is sick, too.

So, I waited for urgent care to open at 6. I saw Dr Stephanie, who, in addition to being a pediatrician, has training in adult medical care. On a side note, I love her. I fully intend to establish our baby with her when the time comes. I saw her in action the several times that I have taken Sami to the doctor, as well as in the hospital when my friend Gretchen's son was in admitted. She SO good with kids.

Anyway, She diagnosed me with pneumonia almost right off the bat, based on my symptom descriptions alone. As soon as she listed to my lungs, she knew that was exactly what was wrong. Pneumonia. The tricky part is how to treat this monster. Almost very drug necessary has been tested in animal trials, but not in human trials for pregnancy. The Z-pak (yeah for Zithromycine!!!) is fine to take-- It's a class B drug, but the rest of them are class "C". I have an inhaler, prednisone and robotussin with codine. She said that one or two doses until I hear back from the doctor isn't going to hurt the baby. Its when they're taken for long periods of time that they can cause effects. So just before I started this email, I called and left a message for Dr Bass. On a side note, as I was typing this, the doctor's office called (that's amazing! Like 15 minutes after I called.) to get the list of medications that were prescribed. I asked her for a different medication to control the cough. The tussin wasn't doing much for it. SO, hopefully, they'll call back again soon.

We got the scripts filled last night, and we walked around Walmart while we waited. Let me tell you, it was the longest walk around Wal-mart EVER! I got about halfway through the store, and gave up. I left Greg in the toy section and went up front to find out how much longer it was going to be. It was still going to be another 5 minutes, so I collapsed on a bench and just sat there in a daze. By the end of the day, I'm so exausted its just not funny. And yet, I could NOT fall asleep when we got home. And what's even more obnoxious, I'm SO hungry, but when I eat, the food doesn't taste good at all, and I'm not at all hungry anymore. 20 minutes later, I want to eat again. It's really frustrating.

On a brighter note! I haven't mentioned anything because I just didn't want to get my hopes up, but last week, I received a phone call from a company called "Home Instead Senior Care" asking me to come in for an interview. I had sent them my resume not long after I was laid off in response to an ad for a Client Care Coordinator. Well, I met up in Findlay with the owner, Bill, for the first time on Tuesday. The interview lasted for an hour and a half. He was intriged by my gerontology background. He asked me back for the second interview at the end of the first interview! That was set for Thursday. Then on Thursday, he called me and asked to postpone to Friday. It was KILLING me. SO on Friday, I trekked down to Findlay again and spent another hour and a half with him. At the end of the interview, he gave me a copy of the Business Statement and said that he wanted to see me on Monday and I had to have the statement memorized! The statement was as follows:

"Home Instead Senior Care" is a non-medical provider of Companionship,
meal preparation, light housekeeping, medication reminders, errands
and incidental transportation. Our CAREGivers
encourage, assist and support our clients in a varity of daily
activities that increase their quality of life and help them maintain their
independence. All of these services all a senior to stay HOME INSTEAD for a
longer period of time."

Whew! With Greg's help, I managed to get it memorized and could do it half asleep. At the interview, I stumbled a little, just because it's intimidating and I have horrific stage fright. But, he said that the other girl that he was interviewing bombed it. The job was mine. I had to repeat it one more time for him an hour and a half later. I am incredibly excited about this job, though a little worried about starting a job with pneumonia!! I'll be a client care coordinator for the region between Perrysburg and Lima. I get a company car, salary, and monthly bonuses. I get the best of both worlds, working with clients, families, and staff! It really is my dream job! I can't wait to tell you all more about it.

Dr. Bass called me back. She wants to see me in the office at 1040-- about 1/2 an hour from now. SO, I guess I'd better get cracking on over to that appointment. I will definately write more later to update y'all!

***Update***
So I went to the doctor. Everything looks okay, and she said I can keep taking the medications, that they'll be okay. She wants to see me again on Thursday. SO, we'll see what happens.

On a BABY update, since this is our baby blog, baby seems to be doing great. No feelings of movement yet, but that probably won't happen until between 16-22 week. According to thenestbaby.com, Baby is the size of a peach-- A very small one-- 2.9 inches and .81oz. Still searching for a nick-name. Greg veto'd "monkey", Em. Evan was also monkey. He says it would be like naming the baby Evan. Whatever. lol! MORE suggestions, everyone! I hate Buddha!

Love ya!
Jenn


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry Greg, i still like Sweet Pea!